Get it Done!

Get it Done!
Gobble Jog 2009

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Running Tights...Why are they so tight???

Well, I might as well start of with what I did for training today...nothing. No, I take that back, I actually walked for 3 hours at the outdoor outlet mall so I walked today. I didn't do my 3 miles today, but I will do it tomorrow. My family wanted to go out and catch some of the deals at the mall and I had to go with them, I didn't want to disappoint them by staying home and exercising...OK I wanted to go too!! I did get a new pair of training shoes (Asics Gel 1140..white, silver and baby blue..I love them)and they were 60% off so I was extremely happy! I did wear New Balance when I started running, but once I put my foot in a pair of Asics, my foot feel in love with the shoe. That brings me to one of the points I want to make today. Many people say that once you start your running program, don't buy anything. Just put on a pair of running shoes and run. I do agree with the running part, but I don't agree with the shoe part. You have to make sure you put on the "right" running shoes or you will end your running career earlier than planned. When I initially started running, I just put on a pair of cute shoes (my pink New Balance gym shoes) and started running. My feet hurt so bad after a couple of runs and I thought I just needed another pair of shoes so I got another pair of New Balance with lots of cushion (and they were purple). My feet continued to hurt until I was advised by another runner to go to the Big Peach. After going through the fit process, I found out that I was buying the wrong size shoes. I wear a 7 in dress and casual shoes, but I needed a size 8 in running shoes. The guy explained that when you run, your feet expand and swell. I initially wanted another pair of New Balance (they had a pair of purple and white that were so cute), but when he made me try the Asics Gels Cumulus 11, I no longer was a New Balance fan. So, if I can give you any advice, please go to one of the stores that will give you the "fit process" and find out what size and type of shoe you need before you start running. The person who helped me at the Big Peach was really good and funny. I kept saying that I wanted a purple shoe and he told me he could help me with 2 of the 3 "F's"...he could help me with Fit and Function, but not fashion!

Below are my running shoes (pink and black Asics Gel cumulus 11) and training shoes (Asics Gel 1140)


My first pair of running shoes that fit!!


My first pair of training shoes that fit!!

I also purchased a pair of fitted long pants to wear while I run outside and they were also on sale! I was going to purchase a pair of running tights, but when I tried them on they were sooooo tight! Why are running pants so tight??? They hug and grip every part of your lower body. All I could thing of when I tried them on was "doing the butt". So needless to say, I took them off and put them back on the hanger. I decided to just purchase some long fitted pants instead of the tights (there will be no picture of me in the tights below).

So tomorrow is a new day and I will be back on schedule. I will do the 3 mile run and will follow the schedule next week. Right now I am focusing on the Polar Bear 5K on 1/23 and the 10K on 2/6. Also, if you have an iPhone or iPod, I suggest using Run Keeper during your runs. It is an application that tracks your miles using a GPS and it also allows you to listen to your own music while you run. It is available on the iTunes site (they have a version that is free and another that is not free...I have the free one). I will write again tomorrow with my progress and I encourage you to continue chasing your dreams (yes..Dane told me this and I will continue to tell others)! There will be days that you will not workout, but count it as a rest day and continue on with your training plan the next day (just remember that on your rest day you have to workout!)

No comments:

Post a Comment